2017 has easily been the hardest year of my life. Over the past 11 months, I have struggled with my post-college identity, went through a breakup, hustled through unemployment, and worked through a couple of different health issues. I would say I can't wait for this year to be over, but that would imply that I think my life will magically improve when the clock strikes midnight.
While things feel really rough right now, I still know I have a lot to be grateful for. Here are 10 things I am reminding myself to be thankful for today (in no particular order):
1. Health I am thankful that I have two feet to stand tall on that don't mind a pair of high heels every now and again, a crooked but strong backbone, good eyes and ears, and everything else that keeps me moving and shaking.
2. Humor I am thankful that my parents taught me how to laugh through the little things in life that you can't control, good or bad. I am thankful for finstas, memes and vine compilations for giving me the mindless entertainment that reality TV never could. And I am thankful for the people in my life that laugh at my awful jokes.
3. My closet and my blog I know my worth extends past material possessions, but I genuinely love being able to use fashion and style as a creative outlook. Whether I am researching the benefits of natural vs man made fibers, scouring Pinterest for trend inspiration, or planning an outfit to memorialize in a picture,, I am creating something I feel proud of and I will never take that for granted.
4. My best friend I don't know how I could get through this crazy thing we call life without my best friend, Francesca. Our petty rants, FaceTime cereal dates, Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives marathons, and late night heart to hearts have gotten me through a lot and there is a level of comfort knowing you have a best friend that will last a lifetime.
5. My new friends Throughout most of my college years, I felt like I frequently made friends that only lasted a semester because of lack of common interests or lack of effort (anyone in New York City knows how hard it is to "totally hang out sometime!!") These things that were somewhat out of my control made me insecure that there was some reason people did not want to be my friend. In 2017 I became close with a lot of new people, and I am thankful for the friends in my life that genuinely care about me and want to see me happy.
6. My dog Anyone who knows me knows that I am absolutely obsessed with dogs; but for the past nine years Emmet has consistently proved himself to be the worlds best dog. I always say I work hard now so my future dog can have a good life, but Emmet is a dog that already tells us he's living the best life possible.
7. Being home with my family Moving back to suburban New Jersey after spending four years living in the greatest city in the world was a little tough at best and soul crushing at worst. But after only being home for a week here and there throughout college, it has been really nice to reconnect with my parents and be there for my brother and sister's defining high school years.
8. Coffee No matter where I am, what I am doing, or how much money I have in my account I will always take the time to go out and get a Grande in the morning. I often find mental clarity during the 7 minute drive to and from my local Starbucks, and there is nothing quite like the warmth of that first sip.
9. Wine No matter my situation, I have found a wine that pairs well with it.
10. You It brings me so much joy when you tell me that you learned a new way to do your hair from following me on Instagram, or that you never thought you could wear two things together before I showed you, or that I made you feel cool because you already own the Trend of the Week. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading my blog and giving me a voice,
Photography by Jacob Paul